The Highway Barrier is designed to increase safety and durability whilst reducing whole-lifecycle costs.
The origins of BBS CB came from the Dutch design, an embedded barrier as commonly seen in Europe. BBS redesigned the barrier to be surface mounted and conducted further tests on a wider variety of profiles not seen by other concrete suppliers. Within the BBS range, we offer a unique portfolio of barriers designed to work across different highway environments. We also offer a range of accessory products in steel to provide a ‘total solution’.
The advantages of the BBS profile compared to other shapes such as the New Jersey profile is to prevent the possibility of roll-over accidents and to significantly reduce vehicle damage and occupant injury. The Highway Barrier is designed to redirect errant vehicles. It limits minor vehicle contact by the vehicle tyres and suspension systems to the base of the barrier so that a slight impact will, in most cases, allow the vehicle to continue its journey safely.
Construction process requiring minimal foundation
Primarily constructed by the slipform technique, BBS’s CB is installed rapidly under rigid quality control to fine tolerances using state of the art equipment. Slipform paving is a wholly mechanised process which is free from manual handling and results in a reduction of cost compared to other construction methods.
The slipformed concrete is laid onto a hard surface. As the concrete dries a bond to the surface develops and creates a friction connection. The friction connection means that when the barrier is hit it does not move. Therefore there is no need for further reinforcement or embedment which reduces construction time, cost, traffic management and material usage.
- Proven in practice to contain higher than certified design (H2)
- Approved HE product
- Fully CE marked
- Narrow footprint requiring minimal space
- CB at structures design solution (surface and embedded design)
- Minimal maintenance – design life of 50 years
- Extensive portfolio with range of profiles and accessories including wide barrier for street furniture
- Reduced risk of impact injuries to motorcyclists because of smooth face.
- Improved worker safety – fewer interventions for repair
- Surface mounted