– Double-sided central reserve safety barrier
– Dual barrier
– On Bridges
The surface mounted concrete highway barrier (CB) is an innovative product developed by BBS Barriers to simplify the installation of CB. Surface mounted CB is the preferred BBS Barrier product and method of installation for most situations. However, in certain circumstances, such as on bridge decks, embedded CB must be used.
The main difference between surface mounted and embedded CB is that it is constructed directly on the bituminous or concrete road surface, and does not require a separate concrete foundation or restraint. This reduces construction time and traffic management, requiring less excavation and less material compared to embedded CB.
Standard profile BBS CB is a slipformed barrier 900mm high above road level with an overall base width of 542mm (top width is 200mm). Slipforming is a high-output automated process that reduces manual handling operations. Typically standard profile BBS CB can be slipformed at a rate of 400 linear metre per eight hour shift.
|Certified to EN1317-5:2007
|Containment level – H2
|Working Width – W2*
|ASI – B
|* The barrier would be deemed as H2W1 under the requirements of EN1317-5:2010 with a vehicle intrusion of VI2.
Highway Solution Benefits
- A tested and complete solution
- CE mark on installed ‘as-tested’ solution
- Minimal Maintenance
- Serviceable life of at least 50 years (for CB)
- High containment (H2) reduces risk of crossover accidents
- Economic and sustainable
- Rapid and easy installation
- Space saving
- Low whole-life cost
- Reduced traffic congestion – fewer lane closures
- Designed to redirect errant vehicles
- Variety of solutions
- Improved worker safety – fewer interventions for repair
- Reduced risk of impact injuries to motorcyclists because of its smooth face